Thursday, January 19, 2012

How would I go about getting a Masters in Library and Information Science?

I'm an undergrad studying Japanese right now, but I would like to eventually get a masters in Library and Information Science. I've found a list of ALA accredited schools across the US, but I'm not sure if I need to change my undergrad degree to something else if I want to pursue my masters? Do I have to get a bachelor's in Library Science before I can go after the Masters, or does it matter what my undergrad degree is at all?How would I go about getting a Masters in Library and Information Science?
Great choice for a screen name.



Getting a BA in Japanese is a fine degree to start you on becoming a librarian. It provides you with a background in research and writing as well as a language that should make you popular in cataloging or collection development at a large library.



My standard warning though, is if your grades in that subject are not steller, though, don't continue in that direction. High grades are important.How would I go about getting a Masters in Library and Information Science?
Any undergraduate major is fine for an MLS program. I've had friends and relatives enter MLS programs with majors in English, education, art, history, even science. There is no bachelors in library science.

No comments:

Post a Comment