Monday, January 23, 2012

When it itunes converts the songs to AAC format, is the PHYSICAL size of my library increasing?

For instance,



Let's say I have 250 songs in WMA format (and it's using 1 GB of space) on my hard drive and I want to put them in my itunes library. Itunes will ask me to convert them to their AAC format. After it completes that, will the space on my hard drive now be 2 GB used because of the conversion?When it itunes converts the songs to AAC format, is the PHYSICAL size of my library increasing?
When you import %26amp; convert in iTunes, the original files are left where they are, occupying the original space. The new files are created (typically, in the iTunes Music folder), occupying a new amount of space. So even if you were to change the import preference in iTunes to convert to mp3 instead of AAC, you'd still wind up with two copies of each file, one in each format.When it itunes converts the songs to AAC format, is the PHYSICAL size of my library increasing?
Yes. itunes will convert them and save them to your iTunes music folder. The original folder with music in the WMA format will not be moved. changed, or deleted. It will remain as it was.



** the above poster is not understanding your question. Any music stored on your PC and NOT in your iTunes library will not be changed after iTunes adds it to the library. The original will be there as well as the new iTunes converted copy.When it itunes converts the songs to AAC format, is the PHYSICAL size of my library increasing?
Yes, ACC is a High Definition Quality Audio format. Therefore it uses more HD space... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment