Thursday, January 19, 2012

How do you feel about paying fees/ fines at your library?

At our local library charges fees for movie rentals, video game rentals and ipod rentals. Books are free and there is no limit. Late fees are charged when anything is late. Does you library charge and would you rather pay higher taxes to keep your library services free????How do you feel about paying fees/ fines at your library?
I live in Cleveland and everything is free at the library. However, the late fees for audio visual materials is pretty expensive $1 a day which doesn't sound like much until you realize you took out five DVD's and they were due back two days ago.



Overall though I like the free service.
I don't agree with charging fees for movie/video game rentals (actually I've never even heard of a library that rents out video games- that seems kind of weird to me), but I completely agree with late fees. I work at a library during the summer and was a desk clerk for a while and I think that there would be CHAOS without late fees. Too few people ever return their books on time (including myself occasionally!!!) so I think there has to be a penalty for keeping the library's material past the due date. It keeps less things from getting lost and stolen, and it gives more people the chance to rent things out (especially when it comes to newly released titles where some people have to sit for months on a waiting list already).How do you feel about paying fees/ fines at your library?
Well, of course the fees are required or else everyone would be stealing books. I have a huge family and we were always monthes late (and my little sister checked out about 50 little baby books out at one time.) We sort of just decided to buy our books, it is cheaper for us. We got this idea once to come in wearing black and asking the librarian "do you have any books on parental losses?" Haha.
Considering that many libraries have gotten, are getting, or will get their tax money cut (especially with the economy doing what it's doing), I would rather see a library charge small fees if it meant the library could stay open, especially for the items you mention.How do you feel about paying fees/ fines at your library?
I love the fees. This way, it keeps taxes down for the occasional user who turns things in on time anyways. Sounds like you want to screw everybody else over because of your lack of timliness and organization.
i'd rather pay a late fee, because i usually get my stuff back in time to not pay one, so why should i have to pay for it on my taxes if i'm responsible? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment